Monday, February 11, 2013

Home is Home




"Home is Home." That's what a good friend told me years ago when I was trying to figure out whether I wanted to stay in Atlanta or come back to East Tennessee. I missed East Tennessee  and my family terribly, but didn't feel like I'd done all that I needed to do before I moved back home.  At the end of 9 years, it wasn't much of a choice to come back.  I didn't have much of a choice.  I thought I'd come back here, live with Matt and his family for a little while, and get back on my feet.  Well, of course, there was a different plan for my life adventure.  After being in the hospital, it made more sense for me to move home with mom and dad until I get through chemo and can have my colostomy reversed.  The set up is just better and I'm not interfering with all that Matt and Jodie have to do with the boys.  My dad is home and can help run me around if need be.  And, my mom is very lucky and gets to retire at the end of this month!  She's so excited to be able to be home and will be a great help with my continued treatments and recovery. 

I think, by the end of my time here, I will have plenty of things to write in a book..... not about cancer.... but about moving back in with your parents after being gone for 20 years!!!  HA!  We are definitely experiencing some growing pains and getting adjusted to living under the same roof again!  I often times feel like I'm 12 or 15 again.  This has been an internal struggle for me because I've always been fiercely independent. 

But the purpose of this post is to say how glad I am to be back in Chattanooga.  For years and years, I said that I would never move back here.  I would be willing to move back to Knoxville (which I consider home.  I lived in Knoxville longer than I've ever lived anywhere else.) Or even to Nashville.  But never Chattanooga.  What a change of heart I've had!  First, my brother started having babies.  Super CUTE babies!  Growing up, our family was spread all over the country.  So, having family close is important to me since we didn't really have that.  But in addition to that, I've started to see the beauty in this city over the last few months.  It is a true southern town and has so much to offer and to do.  So, as I learn my way around the city again, I keep hearing "Home is home" and it's good to be home!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment