Friday, February 8, 2013

Just another day in paradise.....

So, ya'll know that I ended up in the hospital.  Monday, after they finished my colonoscopy, I found blood in my ostomy bag.  I called the Dr. on call and he said if I see any more than a tablespoon, it's too much.  Oh.... well.... so a bag full might be too much???  His words were "I'll call ahead to the ER and tell them you're on your way." I said, "Do you really think I need to go?"  He said 3 different times that he would call ahead to tell them I was coming!  Ok, so, I guess I'm going to the ER! 

The ER really is quite a crazy place.  People were so obviously sick and I felt like an imposter being there.  I didn't feel the least bit sick.  And then, felt bad again, when I got called back long before they did.  Mom and I were talking and laughing.  I am SUCH A FAKE!  :)   The ER was so backed up.  I got put in a room with only an old rickety dentist's chair. HA!  After about an hr and a half, I got put in a "real" ER room with a bed and TV, but the adjuster on the bed didn't work and neither did the TV changer.  HA!  I stayed there until they found me a room at 2AM!!!  UGH!  So, I got settled by 2:30 and started the prep for another colonoscopy so they could figure out where the blood was coming from.  I chugged the prep from 2:30 to 4 when they told me I couldn't have anything else- in order to be ready for the procedure.  Hmmm.... Let's see, if I'm not cleaned out, I won't be ready for the prep anyway.  But the nurse took it and said she thought I'd be good. 

Everyone was so confused by the doctor's orders, or lack there of.  There wasn't an order for the colonoscopy because the GI Dr. in the ER wanted to wait and see what my blood levels were in the AM and to see if the bleeding continued.  He would decide in the AM after talking to my GI Dr.  But there was an order for a prep.  ...... hence the confusion! 

My delicious dessert of prep:
I chugged as much as I could.  I got 6 cups down. 

The whole stay continued to be a comedy of errors!  I was put on the Cardiac floor.  I'm assuming that it was just an open room, since I wasn't having cardiac issues.  But they insisted that I wear a heart monitor.  I told the admitting nurse that I'd never had to wear one before, but she insisted that it was normal and "Oh, Yes!" she said.  So, I had to wear a stupid heart monitor the whole time.  Here's the kicker:  I don't think it was ever really on.  It fell out of the pocket one time and the cords pulled out.  I picked it back up and set it on the bed for a few minutes.  I did plug it back in, but no one ever came to check on me.  No alarms went off.  Nothing!  I was con'ed!!  :)  Attached to wires everywhere. 
 
When I was allowed to eat and not NPO, I was on a liquid diet.  I have to admit that I cheered when this came in.  I cheered for this!!!  Broth and jello.  Really??!!! 
 


 
So, what I thought would be an overnight stay turned into 3 days.  I am so glad to get home!!  I got to veg today and stayed in my PJs until noon!  Loved every minute of my day at home! 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment