Friday, April 26, 2013

ohhh the places you'll go!

I've been thinking a lot this week about what I want to do when I grow up!  :)

I moved home to completely start over in August.  I was going to nanny for Thing 2 until I could get my feet on the ground here in Chattanooga.  Then, in October, BAM! I was diagnosed with this crazy disease! 

Now, I feel like I've completely lost track of this year.  I think I hibernated all winter.. almost literally!  My teacher friends have reached Spring Break and now are only weeks away from the end of school.  In my mind, I can't believe it isn't just the end of the FIRST semester!  I KNOW that they are so glad that it's almost over.  I know the feeling well and how long the school year is.  I just can't believe that it's already over-- as an onlooker.   I'm so happy for them, but a little freaked out for myself. 

When I jumped on this crazy roller coaster, it was just starting to get cold.  I don't even really remember the winter months.  I really did sleep through a lot of it.  Now, it's spring and this hibernating, gypsy soul is starting to come out.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel- as far as chemo treatments go.  I'm feeling closer to normal on the good weeks.  I'm trying to spend as much time as possible outside in the warm sun.  I'm starting to get restless.

So, I'm really starting to think about what it is I want to do when all of this is over.  I'm not sure that K-12 teaching is going to be a viable option for me any longer, so I'm trying to think out of the box.  I was blessed by my amazing, sweet sister friend, Laura, yesterday.  She has been taking me to lunch every good week since this started.  She has been such a support for me.  She happened to mention that she was starting a small business.  It's a shabby chic idea.  It's an idea I've had for myself.  So, stay tuned on that. 

I've started to think about starting a non-profit.  I really want to "pay it forward"!  While I'm so far in medical debt that I will probably be paying these bills for the rest of my life, I want to be able to help other young cancer patients in my shoes.  People have been so supportive.  I never imagined that people would/ could be so supportive of my situation and really wanting to help financially.  It has made all of the difference in the world for my recovery!  I know it's still going to be a long road, but I'm forever grateful!!    Now.... the only problem.... I have NO idea how to start a non-profit or where to even put my thought process.  HAHAHAHA!    I will be picking the brains of people who have worked in that area! 

What else?  I will try to get settled here in Chattanooga.  Save some money.  Get my own place (I cannot WAIT!), make friends, learn my way around (a lot has changed in 20 years) and re-build a life. 

This adventure is just beginning and I'm excited to see where it leads!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment